Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Rain... Mazha... Malai... Maley... Varsham...

Today I woke up even before my alarm went off. I woke up to the sound of rain. It was so much more pleasing than the alarm sound. I generally hate it when I wake up before my alarm goes off, 'coz I just love sleeping. Today, I lay in bed, without opening my eyes, visualizing the wet trees, wet roads, wet buildings, all washed clean. And the water dripping from the tip of the leaves. As I had kept the windows open, I could feel the cool breeze and it brought with it the smell of rain. Ah... I just love that smell..!

That smell took me straight back to my childhood. There was a kind of plant that, after a rain, held water around the tip of its stem, in a slightly jellyish form. In school, when we were in the lower classes, during break, we used to go out and search for this among the grass and bushes, and used to put it in our eyes. It was very cooling and really felt good. Kids used to say all sorts of stories about it. Some said it was bad for the eyes and that you would go blind. Some said it was very good and would improve your vision. I remember going to my father and clarifying these doubts. And then peacefully going outside walking among the trees and grass around our house, collecting these and putting in my eyes, without having to race with other kids. It was nice. :)

I really enjoyed the time I spent with myself. Or rather, the time I spent with nature. And I so miss it. Now, when I look out my window, it's the tar roads, concrete buidings and electric posts. And they are all drenched in rain. Still, its a sad sight, without some greenery.

4 comments:

  1. I too like the rains, but only when there is no power cut, mosquitoes and muddy roads. Few years back, in the village where I have grown was like that. We didn't have pucca roads around my house, adding to that, tractors with fat tyres used to pass by those roads. Just imagine, the rain water staying in the tyre marks and we jumping over them to cross. Since we were kids, sometimes we would fail to jump and stamp in that tyre marks and coming home with thick mud around the school shoes. Apart from that I like coolness and smell when there was rain. Especially for my kind of personalities, rain suites well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post girl ... The blog really took me right back to the days... god, how I loved getting drenched in that rain and u know my hobby ... cycling around in the rain.. that too in early mornings:)... would end up with a cold at times, but the ride is worth that!!
    But now ... it took me 10 mins to recall the plant u r talking abt... Miss those days :'( ... Hope I go back one day ...
    By the way, u were the same then also , rite ... someone who can never sit indoors ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sam : We already talked about it, so I'm not typing my reply here again.

    @Twinnie : Yes, u got me there.. :) I could never sit indoors for long, except if I was doing some craft stuff. And wht do u mean by going back? Even if u go back to the exact place, would u be able to enjoy the rain as u did then, without "missing" something.. maybe ur old friends, or those childhood days, or that free-bird feeling..?

    ReplyDelete